The newest trend in energy efficiency in the residential market is solar. With its incredible cost-saving characteristics and positive impact on the environment, solar panels have become the hottest new accessory for your home.
Defined as energy from the sun that is converted into thermal or electrical energy, according to the Solar Energy Industries Association, solar power is the cleanest and most abundant energy source available, and has several benefits that come with it.
Here’s our list of 5 of the best things about solar for your home:
1. Increases the value of your home. A study conducted by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory revealed that homes with solar panels sell 20% faster and for 17% more money.
2. Good for the environment. Using the sun to product energy reduces our dependence on nonrenewable fossil fuels, inevitably combatting the output of greenhouse gas emissions into the air.
3. Reduced out-of-pocket costs. You are no longer paying an electricity bill because you are producing your own energy. Therefore, you avoid fluctuating electricity prices and there are various government incentives and offsets available for residents with solar panels.
4. Little maintenance. Once the panels are installed and working at maximum efficiency, they only need to be checked by a technician once or twice a year to ensure they are working correctly and you are getting the most out of them.
5. You’ll never not have power. Solar energy is a renewable resource and we’ll never run out of it, unlike coal, oil and natural gas which is used to produce other forms of electricity.