Electricity consumption always goes up during the summer, especially due to AC usage as we try to escape the sweltering heat. One of the best ways to save money this summer is to unplug electronics that you don’t need. Today’s #Prime5Friday outlines five appliances to unplug this summer!
Keep some extra cash in your pocket for your summer vacation by simply unplugging the following appliances from their power outlets when you aren’t using them!
1. Smaller Kitchen Appliances: Don’t go around unplugging your oven or dishwasher, but do unplug the coffee maker when you’re not using it. Also unplug the food processor, toaster, and even the microwave when it’s not in use.
2. Leaving chargers plugged in when they’re not being used happens to the best of us. It’s just so convenient! But it wastes electricity, and uses the cable even when you’re not charging anything. So unplug it!
3. When your computer is off, go ahead and unplug it and the monitor. It does nothing to harm the computer, preserves the life of any of the LEDs that may blink while the computer is plugged in and sleeping, and of course saves electricity!
4. Office equipment like printers, scanners just drain electricity while they’re plugged in, so make sure to unplug them when you’re done with work for the day!
5. One thing you can leave plugged in are power strips! The best way to save energy is to plug in your chargers, computer, and office equipment into one powerstrip, then once you’re done just turn the switch off. It saves you the hassle of unplugging and replugging in all your electronics, and most powerstrips have a built in surge protector which helps protect your valuables from frying.
For information on other ways to go greener, check out our other blogs about solar panels and ways to save money on your energy bill.